Getting Around Aruba
Aruba’s Bus System
There is a daily bus service all along the hotel strip.
- Retour cards (Afl 7 or $4) can be used for two trips (for example, from downtown to the beaches and back). The card can also be used to travel to any other part of the island.
- A Baby Beach card (Afl 14 or $8) can be used for transportation from Oranjestad to Baby Beach/Roger’s Beach and back.
- A day pass (Afl 17.50 or $10) is valid for one day of unlimited transportation on all the routes of Arubus across the island.
Visit www.arubus.com for more information and schedule.
Visitors can see and experience downtown Oranjestad in a unique way aboard one of the city trams. Starting at the Port of Call, the trams make their way along the charming Main Street all the way to Plaza Nicky, and then return back. A number of stops are made along the way, enabling people to get on and off all along the route.
The trams operate Monday through Saturday, except on holidays. The trams run from 9 am to 6 pm, with the last ride starting at 5:30 pm at the Port of Call. A full circuit lasts roughly half an hour.
Taxis have no meters; fares are set by the government. Feel free to ask your driver to confirm the fare or show you the rate sheet. Rates are per ride and not per person. Minimum fare is $5. Current rates include airport to high-rise hotel area ($25) and airport to low-rise area ($22). Rates are subject to change. An additional $3 charge is added on Sundays and holidays.
- Requirements: Age requirements for drivers vary from company to company. An international driving license or any valid license held for at least two full years is required. Also required: deposit of $500 or open signed credit card.
- Rates are subject to change.
- Towing services available, windsurf roof racks sometimes available, pick-up service available (with the exception of some companies at the cruise terminal), and unlimited mileage available. Car seats (if available) need to be requested in advance.
- Insurance is recommended. Insurance is not valid if the driver is intoxicated in a car accident.